Frequently Asked Questions

 Can I work in an hospital at another state instead of California?

Yes,  you can work at any state, you don't have to work in California, but in each state, there may be a different rules in term of nursing license, please check with the board of nursing in the said state for details.

The reasons that we recommend California are:

1) California is one of the top states that need big number of nurses due to its big population.

2) Because California is severely in shortage of nurse, it is relative easier to find a job in an hospital in California.

3) The climate (over 260 sunny days per year) in California seems similar to that in those countries in South Asia, Middle East and Africa, where most foreign nurses coming from. So call California home may be a smart choice.

 Do I need to take CGFNS exam before taking NCLEX-R exam ?

In many States, the board of nursing requires applicants to pass the Commission of Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools (CGFNS) exam before taking NCLEX-RN exam. But CGFNS is not required in following states (subject to change).

3. OHIO 

 How important is it to pursue a master degree from a fully accredited US university?

1) Because you are seeking a master's degree at a university, you can legally work under the CPT, whereby you get your SSN, and OPT (work permit).

2) If you have a master's degree from a  fully accredited  US university, you can apply for extra 20000 H1-b visa number only for those students who got the master's degree in selected majors.

3) When you start to look for the job, you can take advantage of your master's degree, targeting following positions, nurse managers, assistant nurse managers, clinical supervisors and research program coordinators. All these positions are qualified for H1b visa.

4) With a master's degree, your salary will be higher than those who don't have the same degree.

5) You are more likely to work as a supervisor or manager or research supervisor beyond direct patient care in healthcare field, at least this means less night shifts and more time with your family.

It takes about 15-18 months to get the master's degree.

 Since there is a cap of 68000 + 2000 H1b visa number each year, does this mean that I have to compete with those guys in the major of computer / IT ?

The USCIS states that petitions (applications) for new H1b employment are exempt from the cap (65000 + 20000) if applicant will work at the defined institutions of higher education or a related or affiliated non-profit research organizations or governmental research organizations. So look for a position in non-profit hospital that is related to an institution or higher education. Many hospitals or healthcare systems fulfill this requirement, more than 50% hospitals in the US are non-profit.

 Do I need to have the SSN to taking the RN exam ?

Yes, this is the new regulation in the US since April 2010, you must have SSN (Society Security Number) before taking the RN exam. After arriving in the US we will assist you in obtaining the SSN.

 What else I need to do in addition to taking regular university courses?

At Foreign-Nurse USA Program, in addition to taking the regular university courses, students also need to take care of following tasks in the first 9-12 months

1) Find a regular job that is related to the course work ( business, healthcare, ...etc), it usually takes about two weeks to two months.


2) Get the job offer letter from the employer and CPT authorization from the university.

3) Take an on-line RN exam preparation course ( take up to 6 months).

4)  Take the NCLEX (RN) exam.

5)  Pass your TOEFL test, if you still have not yet done such a test. 

Remember your goal is to pass the RN exam as soon as possible, then, you can get a healthcare job in an hospital with a decent salary.

How much can I earn through my regular internship job in the university before I work in the hospital?

The salary will be around $12 - $15 per hour for most entry-level business jobs (internship jobs), depending on the job positions and skills. Please note, internship job (CPT) has nothing to do with nursing jobs, internship is required by the university study program.

How can I legally work in the US before I pass my RN exam?

Once you have a job offer letter, while seeking for the Master's degree, school  will authorize you to work under the internship program,  which is also called CPT program.

How can I continue to work after I receive my master's degree?

After finishing school you will be allowed to work under the OPT for 12 months, during which you can obtain H1B working visa that lasts for 6 years while you are waiting for the green cards. Please note, you cannot apply for H1b visa by yourself, you must find an employer to file the application for you, for example, your employer (such as a hospital or a care home) may say that they need to hire a person who not only has general management knowledge with a Master's degree in Healthcare Administration, but also has the RN license so that this person will be able to undertake general administration work as well as engage in  direct patient care when it is needed...., consequently, you are qualified for H1b visa. Our immigration lawyer will help you with all the papers at that time.  

If I marry a person who is the US citizen can I legally stay in the U.S.?

Yes, for most of our female healthcare students at the time they get the master’s degree they are already at the age of 26- 27 in average, which is normal for them to start a family, working and living in the US.

What is VisaScreen™ ?
U.S. immigration law now requires that healthcare professionals (except physicians) qualified outside the United States complete a screening program in order to qualify for certain US working visas (such as H1-C, H1-B, J-1) or green card. VisaScreen™, also known as Visa Credentials Assessment, enables healthcare workers to meet this requirement by verifying and evaluating their credentials to ensure compliance with the US government's minimum eligibility standards.

VisaScreen™ program is administrated by the International Commission on Healthcare Professions (ICHP), which is a division of CGFNS (Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools). Candidates who successfully complete this program receive a VisaScreen™ Certificate. This certification authenticates that the foreign national’s education, license, training, and experience are comparable to that of a US healthcare professional.

Visa screen certificate can be presented to a consulate office, or in the case of adjustment of status (see next question), the Attorney General, as part of application process of an occupational visa. The visa screening program normally involves licensure verification, educational credentialing, English language proficiency testing (TOEFL, TSE, TWE), and a predictive exam (CGFNS Certificate).

To satisfy all federal screening requirements, a VisaScreen™ evaluation includes:

(1) Educational Review:
To make sure that the candidate’s education:

(a) Meets all appropriate, statutory and regulatory requirements for the occupation the applicant intends to practice.

(b) Is equivalent to that of a U.S. graduate seeking licensure.

(2) Licensure Review:
To assess initial and current licenses  to confirm the applicant has completed all practice requirements and has no encumbrances.

(3) English Language Skills Assessment:
To confirm that the applicant has reached a level of competency in oral and written English by submitting passing scores on a test approved by the U.S. Departments of Health and Human Services and Education.

Registered nurses (RNs) and other healthcare workers must obtain one of the following combinations of scores to obtain a certificate: 

ETS: TOEFL: Paper-Based 540, Computer-Based 207; Test of Written English (TWE): 4.0; Test of Spoken English (TSE): 50;
TOEIC Service International: TOEIC: 725; plus TWE: 4.0 and TSE: 50; or
IELTS: 6.5 overall with a spoken band score of 7.0. 

(4) Predictive Examination for Nurses
Aliens who wish to practice as nurses must present a CGFNS Certificate or a passing score on the U.S. Registered Nurse (RN) licensing exam (NCLEX-RN).

VisaScreen can be completed in 6 weeks, if all the needed materials are ready.

What is "Adjustment of Status"?

Adjustment of Status, abbreviated as AOS, is a procedure that permits an eligible candidate to become a lawful permanent resident (receive the Green Card) without having to leave the United States. AOS filing is different from the "normal" route of obtaining permanent residence status. In the normal method, the applicant needs to apply for an immigrant visa abroad at a U.S. consulate.

Adjustment of Status helps an alien who resides in the U.S. and meets the eligibilities to avoid an expensive trip and time to their native country for consular processing,  which is a counterpart of the adjust of status. AOS filling is also referred to as "applying for a green card from the U.S. or adjustment to immigrant status".

Where to File AOS Application?

Adjustment applications are normally submitted to the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) District Director in the district of the applicant's dwelling. The applicants are also allowed to file applications at the regional service centers. 

Application is generally submitted by mail, and approved either by mail or after an interview at one of the USCIS district offices. If all the procedures do well, the applicant can accomplish the permanent resident status (“Green Card”) in the U.S. by stamping the immigrant visa in his/her passport.

The principal benefit of adjustment of status is that the procedure does not necessitate that the candidate goes overseas at any time to the grant of green card. sent a CGFNS Certificate or a passing score on the U.S. Registered Nurse (RN) licensing exam (NCLEX-RN).